Monday, November 26, 2012

Twinkies

Twinkies




No more hostess snacks

When I heard the news I was shocked could this be or was this some kind of trick. Apparently the company has been struggling in our economy for awhile.

So it got me thinking why are twinkies an american treat.
Like everything else I start researching at least I learned something from my stats class in college.

The famous treat known as the golden cake with creamy filling began in Schiller park Illinois, the inventor James Alexander Dewar a baker for the continental baking company.

He disovered the machines that made the delicious treat sat idle when Strawberries were out of season so he came up with banana cream twinkie.

The name came from a billboard in St Louis for "Twinkle Toe Shoes"

During World War two, bananas were rationed and the company was forced to switch to vanilla cream.

A common myth is that twinkies have an infinite shelf life.
Truth: twinkies can last 25 days or more.
Twinkies are on the store shelf no more than 7 to 10 days.
So if you discover a twinkie in the back of your pantry that has been there a while you might want to think twice about eating it.

As I discovered the news about the Hostess company going out of business I thought about childhood memories.

I mentioned to my husband how my mother use to put twinkies in my lunchbox on special days with little love notes.
 
So if it happened to be a hard day and I discovered a small treat it always made it better. Ding dongs could do the trick I have no discrimination against the delicious hostess treats.
 
 
My husband then said " I haven't had one in years, let's go get one and feel like a kid again."



 
 
 
We went to the store and I'm not hidding but the whole hostess shelf row was empty. People where going CRAZY stocking up on an AMERICAN treat!
 
 
I even saw a man filling up his cart with WonderBread...
 
 
Every once in a while I come up with a great idea. What about the gas stations they have to have a small treat. We really didn't need a whole box and besides one twinkie is all I need.
 
 
My desire for us was to have a special day in the park with our snack. So when I saw the twinkies sitting on the shelf waiting for me I was delighted. We are still newbies to the San Antonio area and so we asked the gas attendant if he knew where we could find a park. He gave us a strange look, like ma'am do you know where you are?

 
 
 
What we've learned about San Antonio, the city has good and bad pockets. A person could be in a really nice area and the next block or street you could find yourself in a part of town that you might not want to be in without sometype of security.
 
 
That doesn't stop us from exploring we love our new city and discovering it's history because there is a lot here. Well it use to be apart of Mexico so we see signs that say area established in 1714. Kind of cool to think about, Right?
 
 
So back to my story the clerk told us that we could go to Brackenbridge park. Just get back on the main road and eventually we would find it on our right. Don't you love simple directions when you know it won't be that simple? We thought it's a beautiful day we'll just have ourselves a little adventure.

 
 
 
We found the park which is a huge amazing park. It's surrounded by a golf course, zoo, and museum which we plan on going back to see everything.

 
 
 
So we sat down at a picnic bench and enjoyed maybe the last twinkies we'll eat and reminish about traditions. We had a beautiful view of a running stream with ducks in the lilly pads while being surrounded by GIGANTIC trees.


 
 
 
Afterwards we walked around the park holding hands and acting silly like school children...









Twinkies

2 comments:

  1. So fun that you found some! I'm not surprised that they were sold out...that was a very big announcement!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was, I felt bad for those families that lost jobs...

      Delete