Sunday, August 4, 2013

Summerville

HARD TO BELIEVE

 
our time of three months have come and gone.
I've enjoyed living in this small community
within minutes of driving into the woods.
 
The people have been kind, generous, and open.
 
I came here with a bit of a broken heart
from a few experiences in Texas
and coming to South Carolina
was just what I needed
even though I've never seen so much
RAIN
 
My favorite pass time was looking out the window
in amazement how the raindrops came down
with the lightenings in the sky.
 
It was fun for me to be more adventerous this year.
Sometimes I think people believe I live this glamerous
life in the summers.
At times it can be quite lonely because my husband
works hard and many many hours.
It's fun but also full of worry for my husband
Sometimes I feel like my greatest accomplishments
is my relationship with my husband and supporting him in this business.

My husband gave me 100% emotional and financial support for four years
while going to school to get my degree
and lately I've felt this is a great time in our
lives that  I get to support him and put other things on hold.

Growing up I have fond memories of my grandparents stories
It would usually start out as do you remember the time we did this?
or what was the name of that couple we traveled with?
Then they would laugh and smile at the fond memories together.
Every day we are making similar memories and it's all worth it.
 
I've enjoyed pool days with the other wives
and other activities we did together
they made the time pass quickly
and I think they are amazing women that I admire.
 
I filled my days in the gym and have lost about twenty pounds
which has helped me gain some confidience back
I've also walked to the market, shops, and parks.
Walked downtown and enjoyed a smoothie in an old town cafe
with live music.
 
I've visited two plantations and who knew I could have so much fun by myself.
 
I was also invited to be a leader for girl's camp in our church.
Which meant I also got to go do other activities with the girls.
I enjoyed every minute and love those girls.
It was hard for me to say good-bye to them
I'll admit I had a moment in the car full of joy for those experiences.

We both felt we were meant to come to South Carolina.
The other day I talked to my grandfather and he confided to me
about his life I never knew.
In 1943 after my grandfather finished boot camp they sent him to Charleston.
So Charleston has become even more special to me.
To be in this special place that my grandfather lived 70 years ago.
Then as he waited for his ship he went to Savannah, Georgia
a place we feel in love with before we came to Charleston.
He then traveled to New York to get supplies for the ship before
they sailed for the seas.

I think New York will have to be on that list soon.
I knew our time was coming to a close and so I wanted to do
something with Al and so we went for a drive.
Briggin Church Ruins
 







Cemetery next to the church
It's very common to find older churches in the south
that have cemeteries right next to the church.





Usually Al takes the photos but just recently he taught me how to use the timer
My first try at getting the right light and angle.
We didn't come at the best time but I tried my best.











 
As soon as I took the last photo the rain came fast and quickly
Then the mosiquitos decided it was time for dinner
I won't miss them but Summerville will always have a piece
of my HEART...

No comments:

Post a Comment